Friday, October 28, 2011

Nearing Home by Billy Graham

Nearing Home by Billy Graham, is not simply a book for the old, infirm, depressed or terminally ill.  It is a book that contains wise advise for every reader. Yet, even so, I could not exactly relate to this book as it is intended for the senior reader. Considering I don't know if I will ever reach my 50s or 60s, I did not want to seriously consider the issues raised such as retirement and other end of life practical matters.  If I wasn't a blogger, I would never take the gamble and pay $19.95 for a book that speaks about my future years- since there is no guarentee I will be able to put it to use.  For those readers in their 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s or even beyond (if that is even possible) this book is sure to be empowering and enlightening, and well worth the money spent to purchase the book. 

 On numerous occasions the bible speaks of the importance of being aware of the etrnal reality- that life here on earth will end.  The book of wisdom and ecclesiastes often speaks of the wise as being aware of the issues of mortality and death rather than the foolish who simply ignore the reality of death.People have only a few useless days of life on the earth; their short life passes like a shadow. Ecc 6:12 The day of death is better than the day of birth. Its better to go to a funeral tahn to a party. We all must die and everyone living should think about this. Ecclesiates 7:1-2 A wise person thinks about death but a fool thinks only about having a good time. Ecc 7:4 Paul's letters make reference to the reality of eternal life: beyond thid physical world.  If I live , it will be for Christ, and if I die, I will gain even more. I don't know what to choose....It is a hard choice to make. I want to die and be with Christ because this would be much better. Philippians 1:21-23 CEV even stating if in this life only we have hope then we are to be among all the most pitiable.

Billy Graham is a well known figure by religious and the secular world alike.  There is some comfort in knowing that he, as the author, takes time to ponder the truths of eternity and mortality.  His words of strength give greater voice and credibility to the words of the bible in a world that worships the media, materialism, culture and greed.  As a blogger for booksneeze, I have received this book in exchange for writing this review.  My opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment