Thursday, October 13, 2011

Why Men Hate Going to Church By David Murrow

I received the book, Why Men Hate Going to Church By David Murrow in the mail in error from the Booksneeze blogger program instead of the book I actually requested.  At first I was disgusted; since I am not am man this book would not apply to me, obviously.  Nevertheless, since I did have the book, I decided I might as well read it.  The author, David Morrow made some relevant and suprisingly true observations of the condition of today's churches.  Perhaps this is something that many do not consider, as it is often overlooked, but most Church membership is made up of either women, or seniors.  In general, there are few younger people that actually attend church, and especially very few men in particular.  Many reasons were cited by the author to explain why churches apparently neglect men, albeit unintentionally.  Outreach programs and church groups frequently cater to women and children, as well as female related issues.  Furthermore, the preaching style and content is tailored towards the gentleness and preferences of women.  On top of that, the decor of the church- the flowers, feminine art work, plush furniture and color schemes are geared for the tastes of women.  It is as if men simply do not fit into the female emphasis of worship in most modern churches.  Espcially in female run churches, with a woman as a minister- men feel alienated.  The author gives a voice to many issues that are neglected or overlooked!
I believe that this book is worth considering for anyone involved in Church leadership.  It offers a unique perspective on the reasons why church attendance- especially by men- continues to fall.  As a blogger for booksneeze, I received this book for the purpose of writing a review.   The opinions stated in this review are my own.

3 comments:

  1. I received that book as an error too... I liked it Ben Cabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also got that book in an error.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping they get it in eFormat, especially now with reading yours and Ben's reviews. I've currently got Judge Napolitano's Dangerous to be Right When the Govt is Wrong, but I've recently read a few study-based evaluations of the Church (Millenials is literally sitting on my desk at the moment, though I haven't gotten to it yet), and as a man who has largely left the church (though not, in any way, my faith), I find the overall premise very interesting. Indeed, I'll be looking to it much like I looked to Shaunti Feldhahn's For Women Only years ago.

    ReplyDelete