Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Carol Wallace

I am sure many have heard of Ben- Hur; either the movie or the original novel.  Yet, I am unsure as to how many people have read the original novel.  I know I have not, so when I learned of the newly published Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Carol Wallace, I was intrigued.  Carol Wallace has created a re-make of the original Ben-Hur in language that is easily accessible, and easy to understand for the modern reader.  She makes this enjoyable story available to a new generation of readers who otherwise would not have been enriched by this classic novel. Without going into spoilers or specific details about the plot- this book includes a full color insert of photographs from the actual movie scenes. 


The story takes place in ancient Jerusalem, in the time of Jesus Christ.  We follow the story of Ben-Hur, and how he is wrongfully accused of a crime he did not commit. The reader is drawn as the impact has lifelong consequences for him and his family.   From page one, the writing was lively and engaging, drawing the reader into this story.  From the start, I could not stop reading as I wanted to learn what happened to Ben-Hur and his family- his mother and sister, that he was separated from. The character traits of Ben-Hur are admirable, unlike many distasteful fictional personalities you see in modern day stories.  He is a hero that will appeal to many readers.  This story is encouraging as well as engaging.  This is a story that you will not want to put down until you reach the end. I received a copy of this book published by Tyndale House publishers for the purpose of writing this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment